Sunday, July 09, 2006

Random Stories From Camp

I have a tonne of little stories from camp that I thought i'd share with you cause some are are really cool and mostly funny. Be warned that some might have a bit of a "ya had to be there" factor to them but anyway!

Sumatanga Writing
Sumatanga Writing is a game that we played in camp with the campers. Its like a secret code the counselors know and the kids have to try and crack it but no one has ever done it. It involves a stick and wild patterns passed down from Indian ancestors etc etc. Now how its done is top secret and I cant share it in public so only the other counselors might get this one. There was a huge group of us gathered outside the main lodge one evening waiting for the evening activity. So there was a lot of kids sitting in a circle and one counselor left, I think it was Christina and Clants was doing the writing. The word was "Chuck Norris" (go figure) and he got to the "K" and every counselor was wondering how the hell he was gonna pull this one of when he suddenly came out with "Kinetic energy from the stick". Every, and I mean every, counselor burst out laughing and all the kids were looking at us trying to figure out why we where laughing. Very funny moment. Anyway I think she got it in the end but the "kinetic" bit was the best.

Teaching "The Siege of Ennis"
Now every Irish person (and some of the counselors) should know what the siege of Ennis is! If you dont, its an Irish Ceili dance. Its really quite easy so I decided to teach it to the counselors on Thursday night (good idea or what!!!). So I mangaed to get two rows of four people sorted out and taught them how to do it. They caught on really quick and we went to give it a go when we realised we had no music. So I improvised!! I belted out a bit of the "Diddle Idle Idle O, Diddle Idle I" etc etc, and sure enough they got the hang of that bit as well and they were actually fairly good. By this stage the rest of the counselors and staff seen what was going on and before ya knew it we had about 4 or 5 lines of people all "Diddle Idle Idle O'ing" and dancing. Twas mighty fun, so it was!!! This also links into my next story.

Gathering Nuts!
My last day, Friday, and I had the made the week without being called up to the front of the cafeteria to sing or dance or any of that kinda stuff, but today was an exception. The night before I had left my name tag in the auditorium at the counselor meeting and didn't realise until I seen Tanner with it at the microphone. For those non camp people, if a camper looses their name tag they have to kish a stuffed fish hanging on the wall of the cafeteria. Now if a counselor looses their name tag, its much much worse!! So I was walking past the microphone when they were calling the names out and seen my tag and instead of getting called up and causing a huge rucas I just said "I'm here, come on, get it over with!!". I had heard from people that you would have to put a spoonful of peanut butter in your mouth and sing "Kumbiya Ma Lord" which I had no problem doing and was strangely looking forward to! But oh no. I was special! I was the Irish guy. So everyone huddles round me and there was great discussion and debate of "What'll we get him to do???". So it was decided that I had to "Gather Nuts"! My only response was "eh, what?" It basically entailed me skipping around the cafeteria pretending to gather nuts into a basket. That was fair enough, because after all I did forget my nametag! Off I went around the cafeteria skipping like a little girl.

Anyway, I did the lap, got a round of applause and sat down. A fwe minutes passed when all of a sudden I hear "Sing a song Andrew, sing a song. We wont shut up till you stand up, sing a song, Andrew sing a song". I had avoided this like the plague all week and on my LAST day, my campers pull this one out of the bag. Even after all the "GatheringNuts" fiasco! So instead of delaying the enevitable, I got up and marched up to the mike. But as I reached the top all the staff and some counselors got in formation for "The Siege of Ennis"!! I was so proud! So instead of singing a song I explained to the kids what was going on and why these people were doing what they were doing. Then came my big moment for the "Diddle Idle Idle O" and off they went. It was great, the kids started clapping, people started "Diddle Idle Idle O'ing" and it was all good. We finished our routine and the kids had a look of utter confusion and a slight bit of disbelief of what they just seen but it was all good!

The Little Can of Coke and Friends
There were a number of songs we sang in camp and some of my favourites were the Little Can of Coke series. They went somethin a little like this (the italics are the kids responses)

Oh I wish I were a little Can of Coke
Can of Coke
Oh I wish I were a little Can of Coke
Can of Coke
I go down with a slurpy
and come up with a burpy
Oh I wish I were a little Can of Coke
Can of Coke

Now thats only one of about 20 or so. Others include "Bar of Soap", "Snickers Bar", Piece of Poop", "Resse Cup", "Tennis Shoe" and the list goes on.

My ALL time favourite song " THE PEANUT SONG"
This song encapsulates Camp Sumatnaga completely. It goes on forever and can be sung at the top of your voice, which is great for the kids!

I'll give you a shortened down version cause I dont have time to write the whole thing. It goes a little somethin like this:

Found a peanut,
Found a peanut,
Found a peanut just now,
I just now found a peanut,
Found a peanut Just now.

Cracked it open,
Cracked it open,
Cracked it open just now,
I just now cracked it open,
Cracked it open just now.

It goes on for ages and I wont tell you the rest of it cause you have to hear it to really appreciate it!!

Being Inducted into the Sumatanga Studs
This was definitely one of the high points of the week. I had no prior knowledge of my induction so it came as quite a shock. Literally. I think it was on Tuesday and there was a load of us in the pool and John came up behind me and lifted me up on his shoulders and started moving me over to the edge of the pool, facing the deck. I just assumed he was messin around but I was completely unaware and unprepared for what was about to happen. The next thing I see is Bear walking along the deck towards us with this grin on his face and I knew something was up. He faces me and takes a few steps back. Raises his arm so its perpendicular with his body and just runs at me! It all happened so fast and I was underwater. I come back up and everyones clapping and I STILL dont know whats going on. Then John tells me i'm a Sumatanga Stud and it all makes sense. I make my acceptance speach and get slightly emotional, the usual! So now i'm the President of the Irish chapter of the Sumatanga Studs. I dont have an office or anything which is a shame but i'm thinking of gettin business cards printed with that as my job description. That'd be cool.


Anyway, i'm just blabbing now so i'll leave it at that. Thanks for reading!

No comments: