Sunday, July 02, 2006

Camp Sumatanga

Just got some free time so i thought i'd telly ou about the week I had in Camp Sumatanga. Where to start? Well the camp is called Camp Sumatanga and is in a place called Gallant in Alabama. Its situated at the foot of Mount Chandler and is surrounded by forest. There is a multitude of creeks and rivers and theres also a large lake just 2 minutes from the camp. They have everything from a swimming pool to a ropes course. It has everything!



So the way it worked was that there are 2 councillors to a group. Our group had 11 kids, 5 boys and 6 girls. I looked after the 5 boys when we weren't in a group and my Co Councilor, Halley (my hero) looked after the girls. I think there was around 120 kids all together and 13 councilors. So from 4 o clock on Sunday till 5 o clock on Friday, they were our kids (sort of). I was lucky that I got 5 great kids. They all got on and were really easy to look after (most of the time!).

I think to give you a quick idea of what I got up to i'll list out some of the things I got up to:

1. Found a live snake in a creek, twice!



2. Hiked a mountain

3. Kissed a stuffed fish


4. Married a tree (thats not a typo!)


5. Had breakfast cereal thrown at my face which was covered in shaving foam (thats me in the spongebob t shirt)



6. Taught people Ceili dancing



7. Played capture the flag with my face completely painted blue

8. Got inducted into the "Sumatanga Studs"

9. Got to hold and pet a baby Armidillo called Harvey



This list is only scraping the surface of what I got up to. I haven't even started on the list of really cool people and kids I got to meet! Along with my Co Councilor Halley, some of the other councilors were (my fellow studs), Clants, Bear and John and the girls Amy, Tracie, Heather, Fairyn and Ashley. Then there was the directors, the incredible Vicki, Chris, Holli, Alison, Pete and Jeris. Along with all the councilors and directors there was a staff that are there for the whole 6 weeks of camp, Jodi the Craft Chick, Annie the Song Babe, Tanner the Hike Dude, Meagan the Nature Girl, Squint and Buck the Camp Nurse. All these guys were amazing, great senses of humour with great personalities to go along with them.

I'll put up the photos when I get back home and get them all sorted out. Theres SSSSOOOOOOOO many! I have so many storeies to tell but i thought i'd get started with this post and get the background stuff out of the way!

I'll keep you posted on what I'm doing over the nest week until I get home on Friday morning.

Later guys!

1 comment:

Meagan said...

This just made my day! I started on Monday and the new Director of Summer Camping Programs and I needed a little something to keep my motivation up to par and this did the trick. I feel honored to be included in your post (as my past status as Nature Girl) and after seeing your pictures I miss my long hair and having a tan! I hope all is well with you!