Monday, November 19, 2007

Only 4 days to go....

I'm making an impromptu trip back home next weekend. I decided to last week just to catch up with friends, get more winter clothes and because the flights were cheap!!! So I leave on Friday morning and get back to Berlin on the Monday. Unlike my last flying visit to Ireland, i'll spend most of my time in Castleblayney, instead of wandering aimlessly through the countryside looking for the N7!!!

The parents came over the visit me for the weekend which was really great. I hadn't seen them since I left and considering I was away for the summer, I haven't seen a whole lot of them at all recently. They got in on Saturday morning and despite their early flight, got stuck into seeing what Berlin had to offer. We got round to the usual sightseeing like the Brandenburg Gate, KaDeWe etc. We had a really nice German meal that night in Lutter & Wegner just beside the Sony Center. I had an incredible black pudding starter that was a meal in itself.

The next day we took a bus tour around the city. It was the best and quickest way to see the further out parts of the city and seeing how everything is closed on Sunday, it was the best thing to do. After that we walked to the Reichstag and the Hauptbahnof train station. We took a quick train journey to see the Tv Tower. At 207.3m its definitely the highest grounded bar i've ever had a drink in!! After recovering from popped ears we headed to Corroboree, a nice Australian restaurant that came highly recommended by my cousin Conor (Captain Fuchsia). And after a quality plate of Blackened Chicken we called it a night and headed home.

The weekend before that I was in Basel visiting Barry and Eva. 3 of the girls from Dublin joined me so there was a good group of us heading down. I took the train down which was quite enjoyable and the girls followed the next morning by plane. I made the point of reserving a window seat on the train so I could see the countryside as I went. However when I got onboard and found my seat, my window was in fact a window frame!!! And not just any window frame!! This frame spanned the whole area between my seat and the seat in front of me, so I couldn't see anything!!! So after some quiet mumbling cursing the lady who reserved the seat for me I got up and went in search of a free window. I eventually came across an empty compartment all to myself. So I settled down and had a great trip through Germany.

We spent most of the weekend walking around Basel, showing the girls the sights and the markets. One the funniest, strangest parts of the trip was going to France!! Basel is right on the border with Germany, France and Switzerland so after a short tram journey you can get out and walk to France or Germany. And seeing how we're living in Germany we decided to go to France instead. Unfortunately it was Sunday and everything was closed so not much happened on our wild trek to France. that night though we had a cracking fondue in Barry and Evas.

Thats all the news for the minute. Sorry for the long post but I haven't been very up to date with my blogging recently but hopefully that'll improve. Till next time...

No comments: