Wednesday, November 28, 2007

FHTW Berlin

Since i've been here almost 3 months now, I think its time I wrote about the university i'm in.




FHTW stands for "Fachhochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft", which basically means University of Applied Sciences. The main campus, where i'm located is on Treskowallee in East Berlin, not too far from where I live., thankfully! The first things I was told about the college building itself were that is was cold, grey, dark and dull, which it is, but that was coming from someone who's been there for 3 years. However when I first seen it I thought it looked pretty alright. Yes, it was old and now that winter has settled in, it does look quite dark, but at the time all I could see was the German architecture and the kind of building you saw in movies made about the area. I was fascinated with the different faces and heads carved on the outside walls and just the general appearance of the thing.



Thats just the main building but the whole campus itself is bigger. There's also the language building (which is genuinely ugly, regardless of which way you look at it or the time of year) and the computer building which are separate from the main campus. It lively enough and has all the usual college campus stuff like a cafeteria etc etc. The picture below is the centre of the campus, in other words behind the main building in the above picture.



The college has been in existence in some shape or form since 1874 and like DIT, came around with the unification of smaller institutes. I'm finding it hard to get information on the buildings themselves but from what I can tell it was always a college. I also cant find much on how it was affected by the war but i'll keep looking. The college has just under 10,000 students, half of which are located where I am. They mostly do engineering and design courses. They even have their own fashion label, 30paarhaen, designed and run by the students.

No comments: