Thursday, November 08, 2007

A chop with a difference!!

I've been putting it off for a while now due to the lack of German linguistic talent but my hair was getting a wee bit out of control. So I did the only normal thing a person like me can do in this situation. I googled "English speaking hairdressers berlin" and after a bit of searching I found this article in The Economist City Guides. The author talked about a place called Notaufnahme and said that the staff was Enligh speaking and it seemed quite interesting from the description he gave. So I googled the address, found the nearest metro station and off i went.

It look a little longer than I thought it would to get there but I found it eventually. In the article he said "The salon’s interior resembles an emergency room; relax on a hospital-style bed and listen to chill-out music while waiting for your blow-dry.", which had me very intrigued and excited. I had images of beds from ER and people running around with hairdryers and, despite warnings from parents, scissors!!!! But when I arrived, the only hospital reference was two beds which were used as a waiting area, and a instrument trolley that they used for the book with all the bookings. He was right about the music though.

Despite not making an appointment I was seen too rather quickly. The coolest thing happened after i had my hair washed. Instead of drying your hair with a towel, they sort of wiped off the excess water and put a hat type thing on your head!! It only dawned on me then how many people were wearing hats. I just assumed they were cold. The girl brought me to my chair and after a minute or two, the guy came over and started doing his thing. I was a bit dissapointed when the hat was taken off because it just became a normal hair cut after that. The novelty had gone. However, he did exactly what he was asked and it was only €12 which isn't bad for a salon cut. Well compared to Ireland anyway!!!

Off to Basel this weekend to see Barry (The Swiss Job) and Eva (The Golden Shrimp). I decided to get the train down and fly back. It was much cheaper that way and I still get to see the countryside and travel on a high speed train. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone!!

No comments: