Monday, October 01, 2007

And so it begins!

My first lecture is starting in a few hours so i'm killing some time in the computer room. I was looking forward to a sleep in this morning because my class doesn't start till 2 today, but I was kindly reminded last night that there was a welcome meeting for all the new students this morning at 9!! So in we went and stood through an hour and a half of German people speaking German that none of us understood. Not a good start to the week.

I booked a load of flights on Friday for the next few months. I'm goin to Copenhagen in a few weeks to see some DIT friends on erasmus. Then there's the family reunion thing in Adare in December, as well as Christmas. I also found a rail card that will get me half price travel which will come in very handy over the next few months!!

I met up with my exchange buddy Christina and some of her friends yesterday to watch the end of the Berlin Marathon. We were just in front of the Brandenburg Gate, about 100 metres from the finish line. As usual the winners were either from Ethiopia or Kenya. There were people across from us with Irish flags but they never got excited about anyone. The place was packed and the atmosphere was really good despite the odd spit of rain.

I left Christina and her firends after a while to meet up with the Irish crowd to watch the match in the Oscar Wilde, a quality Irish pub. We sat down to our beans, sausages and chips and slowly slipped into a mild state of depression as the match went on. I'm not going to get into it now cause i'll only get myself worked up, but all i'll say is that Geordan Murphy is a legend and Ronan O'Gara should wake up. Unbelieveable!!! We had good craic though and there was an Irish guy, Tom, from Galway who had no shame in shouting hilarious vulgarities at the screen. It helped lighten the mood a little.

So from now on in i'm back in college mode. It'll be interesting to see if there are many differences between here and home. When I was picking my subjects I made sure to get some classes that aren't full of Erasmus people, just to mix it up a little. Anyway, i'm gonna run and get some food before I collapse. Slept in this morning and had to rush to make it for that feckin meeting thing. What a waste!!

No comments: