Saturday, February 28, 2009

General stuff

I am currently sitting in bed on what i thought would be the first morning in a long time that i would get to sleep in. But as I unwillingly suspected, I woke like clockwork at 8 a.m, not helped by the bells of both St. Patricks Cathedral AND Christchurch!! Still, its good to have a lazy morning in bed and I can't complain.

Things are moving along nicely now in college. I only have a week left of lectures in college so I have that feeling of excitement I used to get in primary school when you knew the summer was about to start, except its February! We've planned an impromptu 'Primary School Style' party for our Business Policy class on Wednesday so it'll be lots of buns, Tayto and small bottle of Cadet Orange (remember those!!!). I know its a bit of a contradiction saying a planned impromptu party, but the lecturer doesn't know about it so it sorta counts?!?



We've also planned, booked and paid for a house in Galway for a week after our exams. It sleeps 19 and so far there are about 30 odd going!! Not everyone will be there at the same time I don't think so it should be grand. I've seen pictures and I can pretty much guarantee that it wont look like when we leave!!

In other news, the Smurfit Kappa Graduate Programme I applied for, and had high hopes of getting accepted into, has been CANCELLED! DAMN YOU ECONOMY!!!!! SO its back to square one. Although I did apply to the IBEC Exporters Programme so fingers crossed on that one!! If i get that one I get to work abroad for a year which would be deadly!!

Ever since the recent closer of Road Records i've started moving away from the bigger stores and online stores for my music. Its a shame to see great small independent shops like that closing. If it wasn't for them, a lot of new emerging bands would never get a chance or somewhere to sell their music. I've started going to a shop in temple bar, City Discs. They have a great range of new and second hand CDs and vinyl and friendly staff who don't remind you of Jack Black in High Fidelity! I can't stand that know it all mentality! My latest purchase was Katie Kims album ,Twelve. Its kind of hard to describe what genre her music is. She puts it nicely though:

"new old school fantasm blues folk revival yodalik rock post mccarthyism drone noise phsyk horse tail blowing old wave eastern western style wicker stringed indian high pitch glam metal sometimes dub butnever reggae salsa cuban rave indie shoegaze alternative psykadelic shadowistic breakbeat old style needle rippin round chord scratchin up underneath sampled covertunes with dutch americana underlying bass house techno whistling classical guitar trench beatnick revival downtempo eclectic popsure galant freefolk bollywoodesque 70's grunge glass bottlecore hard range fast slowjam boroque noirscreeching howls of epic sandpits over the top egorock with softblend unfunk soul jazz experimental type leghopping on micleads overtures blended amongst yogurt samples jumping over kraut style accapella ecstaticism brass horn string teasing drunk gospel choir vocals drowning in sounds of bigdrum appreciation type gold recording on leather squeeks punching heels water plops above ambient chinese traditional concrete disco french fusion bossa grindcore industrial lyrical lounge religious tape music which brings punktrance and visual zoup type undertures into a world of ever the expanding."

Those are her words not mine!! I particularly like 'over the top egorock with softblend unfunk soul jazz experimental type leghopping on micleads overtures blended amongst yogurt samples jumping over kraut style accapella ecstaticism'. Rounds it up nicely I think!! Check her out at her myspace and listen to the song called 'Radio". Its amazing!!!

Other than that I dont have much more news. A neighbour from home is heading to Australia in a week or so, so we're all heading out for dinner in Patrick Guilbauds tomorrow night hopefully (yum!).

No comments: