Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dirty Money

I was watching a program last night on TV3 called 'Dirty Money'. It was about the crime scene in Ireland and more importantly, the history of The Criminal Assets Bureau. The unfortunate thing was that it appeared to be made and starred Paul Williams, the so called crime reporter for the Sunday World. That pretty much ruined it for me.

I cant stand Paul Williams!! Twenty Major says it better than I ever could:

"To me Paul Williams glamourises what he claims to hate. His stuff in the Sunday World is really terrible. It’s salacious, gossipy tripe, most of which is fed to him by Gardai and really does nothing to stop crime, only boost the profiles of the criminals who wallow in the infamy, and the author who, of course, has books to sell. One of the best things I ever heard in my life was that guy from jail calling him a ‘cunt’ on the Joe Duffy show. Criminal he might have been but that deserves some serious kudos."

The second part is next Monday night which should be the same waffle. In fairness it does document some of the biggest crimes over the past few years quite well. But I just cant take it seriously with Paul quoting from his books and pretending to look tough. Its a shame because it could be a really great documentary, if only it didn't have his smarmy face on it every few minutes.

No comments: