Friday, February 08, 2008

Bauhaus & The Victory Column

Not long after my visit to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, I went on a trip to the Bauhaus Archive. Bauhaus is, or was, a architectural and product design style established in Germany in the early 20th century. This museum/archive has a great collection of original Bauhaus pieces and in one section, a complete replica of a exhibit from French Society of Interior Architects trade show in 1930. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me use my camera inside so here are someone elses!!!

The Bauhaus Archive in the typical Bauhaus style.


The museum interior.



After that then I walked for a few minutes and found myself at:



The Victory Column.

This is one of my favourite features of Berlin. Built in the 1870s to commemorate a number of victories by the Prussian Army, its been a favourite of Berliners ever since. It was originally placed in front of the Reichstag but was luckily moved by the Nazis in the 30's, otherwise it would've been destroyed in the war. It stands around 67 meters high and you can walk to the very top. Its A LOT of stairs but its worth it!!



The Chick on a Stick





A view from the top!!!



Since then i've had my five exams. I just finished today so I can finally relax!! There's a leaving party on tonight for everyone who's leaving in the next few weeks. Should be fun!!! I have only six days left in Berlin which is a bit scary to be honest. Where did the last 5 months go!?!?!

Well, i'm going to make the most of my last six days and see and do everything I still have yet to do. I better get to it so!!!!

No comments: